Add remove packages/ packages not found - bouncing icons removal

I'm runnin Core 2 Test 2. and had to load and install most of the .rpm's because the iso's wouldn't work. Now, when I run redhat-config-packages, select the X11 , Kde, and Gnome development tools, it says that I need xorg-x11-libs/kdelibs and kdebase. I do a rpm -q on these and I have them installed, probably newer versions than what's in the rpm database. How do I get config-packages to recognize the installs? As an aside, how does one remove those absurd bouncing icons?
thanks,
jeff hilson