Re: email notification of yum updates?

Jay Daniels wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 01:29:44PM +0200, Herbert Gasiorowski wrote:

Jay Daniels wrote:

How do I setup email notifications that yum update has run and
succeeded or failed?

Remove the "-e 0 -d 0" part from /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron (or change the values to something above 0).

And activate yum with "chkconfig --level 345 yum on"

I have yum on in run levels 3 and 5.  Does this only run yum update or
does it actually update all packages?  I never seem to see any update
notice on the RHN up2date applet in gnome.

Level 4 is (nearly?) never used.

For instance, if my kernel is automatically updated and I'm not notified, then what? I am running an old kernel!

Yes - until you reboot the computer. This is true for glibc too and maybe for some other packages.

Is this yum in Service Configuration just the cron script in /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron? or is there an actual yumd?

No, it is only the cron script.

Read the yum man page and it said -e 0 is good for cron jobs. How would changing the error level get me notifications if the updates succeed? It seems like there is more to this than just changing the error level in yum.cron such as handling the errors with a redirector in the cron job.

cron normally redirects all output to the users mail address, in this case it is "root" (See /etc/crontab).

--
mfg
Herbert Gasiorowski