Re: [FC1] Dangerous 2.6.5 Kernel Instalation (!) WARNING

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Am Mo, den 19.04.2004 schrieb runlevel0 um 14:59:
> > Hy folks,
> >
> > I'm writin this from an Knoppix 3.2 Live-CD in order to warno you about some
> > possible toubles installing thr 2.6.5 kernel via Yum.
> >
> > The URL was published yesterday here in this list.
>
> Which one? http://people.redhat.com/~arjanv/2.6/ ? Works fine for me.
>

> > The problem is that the damn think fails to reboot, but that's nothing
> > specially important, since many of us have a huge collection of kernels...
> >
> > Or at least that was was I thought after rebooting.
> >
> > The fact is that this package *erases any other kernel* you would have in
> >

> yum install foo vs. yum update foo! You need to install the kernel, not
> upgrade it.

'kernel' is a 'installonlypkgs' (man yum.conf) for yum. i.e. Even if
the user invokes 'yum update' the 'kernel' package gets installed -
but it does not erase the old versions.

Check /var/log/yum.log - for the log of the transaction (perhaps post it here)

Satish