Re: ext3 journaling taking up HDD Space ?

Tommy Reynolds wrote:

Uttered "Matthew Benjamin" <msbenjamin@xxxxxxxxx>, spake thus:

/dev/sda1             6.7G  6.6G     0 100% /

This is what my space looks like. This is the / partition. I have 2
other servers running that are much busier, and one is a older ( a dog
as far as I'm concerned) however they are running ext2. They have both
been up and running for 100 days + I rebooted them lately - just for
fun. Neither one of them just ran out of space however. The /home and
the /var drives are partitioned off so that the website, ftp, and home
drives don't mess with the / space.

EXT3 journals are of fixed size; that ain't the problem.

Check _all_ the places where log files are kept, not just
"/var/log/messages".  For example, apache keeps logs in another
place.

Just for fun, do a:

	# ls -l /var/spool/mail

to see if an account is receiving mail but not checking it.

Also, since the journal is fixed size, /something/ else is growing.

Running "du / > /tmp/du.log" will give a log of all files/directories trees on the disk and the space used in each all the way to the end leaves.

If a single tree indicates a large space usage investigate the details to find out where the space is actually used.

If this is a server it may be in /var/log/httpd, /var/log/sa or something similar.

A while back I had a machine with a broken version of logrotate and that would fill my system up with thousands of files as it brokenly attempted to do its job.

Cheers!