Re: 2120S Raid Controller and DAT Tape?

Am Mo, den 12.04.2004 schrieb Jay Daniels um 02:51:

> It's a Seagate Scorpion 40 DDS-4 "internal" drive.
>
> The Scorpion 40 supports the following SCSI interfaces:
> 68-pin Ultra 2 SCSI (LVD)

Ok, it is an LVD drive.

> I currently have my hard drives on an adaptec 2120S with hot swap
> card.  The cable runs from the raid adaptor to the card.  The 2120s
> card is a 64bit pci card.
>
> Also, I use scsi 5 raid array and don't know if that would require me
> to install the tape drive on another scsi adaptor.

As I said, I do not know the controller. You should have a manual which
explains you the details of the controller, whether it has more than one
bus (independent buses) and how it has to be configured using RAID.

> So is the 2120S considered an Ultra 2 SCSI (LVD)?  Do I need to go
> into the adaptec setup of the 2120s to setup the tape drive?

I can't say. From your first mailing the IBM drives are LVD2, maybe the
controller is LVD2 capable too. Check the manual for setup instructions.

> I do not want to purchase another expensive scsi card if possible. The
> server will hold up to 7 320 scsi drives but currently I only have 4
> and don't think I will add any more hotswap hard drives.
>
> I spent a lot of money for this tape drive and want the best
> performance!  Oh, I also need a ribbon cable - no cable in the box, or
> do I really need a cable?  The cable from the 2120s to the hot swap
> card is long and has extra connections!

Plugging the DAT tape drive to the SCSI bus please be aware that it is a
bus: that means it has exactly two ends.

> jay

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 03:10:51 up 23 days, 10:52, load average: 0.03, 0.16, 0.14
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]