RE: eth issue: dhcp works, ping dchp server fails

Saturday, April 03, 2004 7:57 AM Jeroen Tiebout wrote:
> To: 'For users of Fedora Core releases'
> Subject: eth issue: dhcp works, ping dchp server fails
>
> DHCP: i should get all info, ip, subnet, dns, and
gateway.
> This works. The ip eth0 receives is from the pool gw,
dns and
> subnet are ok. The laptop even shows up in the dhcp
client
> list of the (US robotics -cheapo, but working)router.
In the
> dhcp client list the hostname shown for the laptop is:
"25924
> 8242:136" (Can i change this?)

You should be able to. There is a field in
redhat-config-network just below the radio button
"Automatically obtain IP address settings with:" labled
"Hostname (optional)." Set your host name there and it
will be provided to your DHCPO server in the
DHCPDISCOVER packet.

> When i try to ping my gateway, i get "Destination host

> unreachable" *I think dhcp packets are sent using UDP,

> apparently that works, could it be a problem with icmp
or tcp?

This sounds like I routing issue. Could you supply
'ifconfig -a' and 'route -n' output?

> When i boot the laptop i get an error when it tries to

> initialize the network interface. something like
"xircom_cb
> eth0 not present, delaying initialisation" -I use a
xircom
> pcmcia adater as i have no network on board. *During
startup
> pcmcia is initialised after eth0 fails to initialise.
>
> thats one to chew on, i have been anyhow.

This is normal behavior for PCMCIA attached NICs. The
network startup scripts run before the PCMCIA scripts.
If you check further down in the DMESG output you should
see your ethernet come up.

> Add to the configuration file
> '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0':
>
> check_link_down() {
> return 1;
> }
>
> If you indeed have the same problem, this should work.
>
> Regards Sami

Did you do this? I might not be a good idea to play
around with your link detection...

>In etc/modules.conf I have:
>alias usb-controller usb-uhci
>alias eth0 8139too
>
>(deleted the "options 8139too io=0xe400 irq=11")

Does this also pertain to your config? If so, the irq
and port address may be necessary for the driver to
properly communicate. Hard to say with PCMCIA drivers
though...

A couple of last questions, "Can you ping your windows
machine from this interface?", and "Are you getting any
other traffic through this interface?"

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555