Re: I broke Mozilla

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 17:44, Mike Rambour wrote:
>   I had a mouse problem where my mouse clicked when I moved it (battery
> went dead) and it opened a dozen or so Mozilla windows and different
> dialogs. After replacing the battery I can not get Mozilla to run, I click
> on it, it says "Starting Mozilla" and I get the hour glass mouse icon,
> after a short while, it just goes back to the regular mouse icon and
> Mozilla never starts.

I would suspect dead mozilla zombies playing havoc with each new
instance of mozilla you try to run. Run "ps ax | grep mozilla" to check
for mozilla processes and kill each if necessary. Rebooting might also
help clear things up.

>   I saw there was a new version and downloaded it, installed it and
> nothing, so I tried removing Mozilla so I could install fresh and got an error.
>
> # rpm -evv mozilla-1.4.1-18
> error: Failed dependencies:
>          libxpcom.so is needed by (installed) openoffice.org-libs-1.1.0-6
>
> at which point the uninstall failed.  I found openoffice.org-libs on the CD
> and installed it, I had to use --force since it said it was already there,
> and uninstalled Mozilla and re-installed.  Same problem, I must be missing
> something but not sure what or how to find out.  The above error may or may
> not be my problem but I assume I have to fix it at least before I
> continue.  I dont want to have to re-install Fedora from scratch again, I
> already have twice and had the machine doing what I want/need and stable
> until my mouse problem.
>
> 	mike

This dependency is expected; OOo depends on mozilla and as such rpm will
warn you when you try to remove it. libxpcom.so is a part of
mozilla-1.4.1* package.

You shouldn't need to un/re-install mozilla. I suggest you run "mozilla"
from a terminal to see any error messages that might be output that
aren't visible when you run from the GUI launcher.

BTW, the timestamp on this message is Thu, 2004-04-08 at 17:44. Is your
system time set incorrectly by chance? This is not uncommon, it has
happened to myself in the past! Are you using ntpd to sync your local
clock?

Regards,
-Matt.
--
mhelios - www.fedoraforum.org
Registered Linux User #348963 / counter.li.org