sata/IDE dual boot help please

Hello,

I am very new to Linux.

I have a new system I am trying to set as a dual boot system. I have the windows xp drive set up on a sata interface (via vt8237 chipset) and a blank disk on a regular IDE interface that I want to install Linux (fedora release

1) on.

My question is, if the linux kernel does not have support for the sata disk will the boot controller see windows as a possible boot option?

Is there a way to get around this problem.

Is there support for sata in Core 2 test2? Would I be better off installing this release?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bryan