Problems with a toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 laptop

Hi all,
I've just installed Fedora Core 1 on my laptop, that is a toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 with 128 MB of memory, but I have serious problems. When I move the mouse (an USB compatible mouse with 3 keys and wheel) x server often crashes. Actually it doesnt crashes completely, but slow down the mouse pointer by a huge factor, and the graphic interface is freezed (no response to mouse or keyboard).

I suspect that the problem is the video chip (a Savage/IX with 8 MB video ram) when X-Windows graphics interacts with the mouse pointer, since often, when moving it, the arrow leaves spurious pixels on the screen when the crash occurs.

Since I'm a complete Linux beginner, I ask you what do I have to do.
I don't even know how to start Fedora without starting X-Windows.

Thanks in advance

-- Gabriel Maldonado --