Re: Redhat Timeserver down? (Czornack)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, jludwig wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 18:56, Brian Bober wrote:
> > Janthao wrote:
> > > I'm not sure if this is a problem with my machine or with the
> > > timeserver. Does anybody else have problems with clock.redhat.com?
> > >
> > Yes, I have that problem too, but only last couple days.
>
> If I remember, the ntp README, ntp protocol allows for the server to
> ignore requests when heavily loaded (drop packets, sound familiar?). In
> which event your machine ntpd will time out and try later at random
> intervals.
> Also in heavy traffic, if the sample jitter your machine receives is
> more than 128mS over three seconds, the samples are discarded.
> See the ntp README also man 1 ntpd

One thing I have in my ntp.conf file are multiple servers, and I avoid
*.redhat.com because it, too, would timeme out. It is *always*
a great idea to contact the person running the server before you connect,
though. Do a "google" search on "Public NTP servers" and you'll find a
list of them, and who to contact.

Gilbert

E-mail: gilbert@xxxxxxx                                               ***