Re: MUA Filters vs Procmail filters[was] RE: Mailing list procmailrecipe

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:57:13PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> [...]

Internal Field Separator, such as a ' ' space.

> > In my ~/.procmailrc I have an entry like:
> > # Deliver to ~/mail/inbox instead of mail spool to control
> > # usage.  hum, no need to do maildir or run procmail suid;)
> > # $HOME and ~/mail is chmod 700!
> > DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/inbox
> >
> > note: the $MAILDIR variable in the .procmailrc has nothing to do with
> > Maildir format!
> >
> > All my mail unless another filter catches it is send to ~/mail/inbox
> > which is in mbox format.  I am working on setting this up system wide
> > in /etc/skel
>
> Let me understand properly. Mail comes in, .forward processes it and
> forwards to procmail, procmail proceses the file for
> SPAM/Virus/X-Been-There/
> To/List-ID etc and puts it into (say Fedora-list)
> ~/evolution/local/Inbox/subfolder/Linux/subfolder/Fedora and for whatever
> that
> procmail does not capture, it's sent by default to ~/evolution/local/Inbox
>
> Did I get that right??

I don't know what file format evolution uses. I use mutt and
squirrelmail.  I think evolution can read mbox files locally, but I
don't know how to get rid of all those evolution default folders in
the list.

I do not think evolution has good header customization support.  For
instance, try changing the X-Mailer header, you may have to
recompile evolution to do such changes, idonno.  With mutt you have
almost total control of outgoing messages.

Try this, get pine or mutt and your mail filters setup and working.
Then setup evolution to read mail from your mail directory or just use
imap to read mail with evolution.  I think this would be easier than
starting with evolution.

> But that's presuming that the mails are received on the local Machine.
> (via POP from Server)
>
> For this to happen also on the server, the server must run maildir format
> (and not mbox) and also IMAP protocol for user@local-machine to be able
> to connect to it and then he'll just have to transfer the emails to by hand
> to his local folder. Hmm...not an elegent solution. (for someone that don't
> exactly stores mails on the server)
>

> > Don't just insert those file if you want to do that inbox thing.
>
> What inbox thing?

See above, I don't know what file format evolution uses.  I use mutt,
but any mua should work if you use imap to access the mail.  As I
stated, I think evolution will do local mbox files too, but I'm not
sure it if incs the mail into the evolution folder which use a special
format or not.

The ideal setup is have all mail in ~/mail and be able to access those
same folders and messages with whatever email client you want to use.
By inbox thing, I mean my mail is sent to ~/mail/inbox instead of
/var/spool/mail/$USER  I think this gives administrators control over
user's quotas as far as the mail is concerned.  That is if you want to
learn how to setup quotas later on...

My post was to show you that you don't need to use Mailbox format to
use procmail and filter mail!  You can use a .forward and .procmailrc
along with .procmail/rc.list etc.

IMAP is a remote protocol for accessing mail folders.  You would want
to use IMAP to connect to your ~/mail from another computer instead of
using pop3 to download all mail to that computer.  Besides, if you
used procmail to store mail from the list in ~/mail/in-fedora-list
then pop3 would not be able to access that mail!  A remote IMAP
connection would allow you to view mail in all folders and files under
your mail directory!

You need to keep all your mail in one place and be able to acces it
from anywhere!

jay