Re: mutt and pine

It would appear that on Apr 6, Anthony E. Greene did say:

> On 06-Apr-2004/08:52 +0000, "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >I've been using pine on various systems for so long now that I'd have a
> >hard time adjusting. Heck even though I don't LIKE to go there much, I
> >even put pcpine in my windows partition just so that I could have nearly
> >the same interface everyplace.
>
> I did that too ;-)
>
> >But mutt does seam to have a following... Tell me, how well does mutt do
> >at having multiple inbox folders???? [I have 3 remote pop, 1 remote imap,
> >& my local spool inbox. plus several ~/mail/folders]
>
> I've always used fetchmail to pull everything through my local procmail
> filters into multiple folders and a single Inbox, so I've never looked
> into handling that setup with mutt. It handles IMAP and ~/mail/folders
> just fine, but there can only be one default inbox.
>
> Tony

I said pine handled multiple inboxes, I didn't say more than one of them
was default... When pine starts up it opens the local spool inbox by
default. The way it works, (since I have more than one inbox defined) is
it has a separate section to list inboxes from the one listing the
folders in ~/mail. if I'm looking at the numbered list of messages in
the local mail spool inbox, one "<" char brings up to a list of inbox
names, arrow over to an alternate inbox ( pop or imap ) Then one ">" or
a return will close the current folder and open the new one...

Actually I might think of learning to use procmail like you do. But I've
had some bad experiences with fetchmail/sendmail where I could never even
know who sent what, that fetchmail flushed when it handed it off to sendmail
which had some kind of sender rule requirement (that I didn't even want)
and discarded it. Near as I could figure out any dialup linux newbie using
the local sendmail without VERY good aliasing in place would have been
unable to send me mail. Since I was at the time a dial-up linux user. I
got very upset. And learned how to point pine directly at my isp's pop
server... ( I had already set pine to use my isp's smtp server because I
simply couldn't get past the spamfilters that my (former) employer had in
place if I tried to use my local sendmail to semd mail to my work e-mail
account.

Do I understand that procmail does sendmail's job? And can it be
configured to NEVER discard anything but to place ALL undeliverable mail
in a quarantine folder instead?? How hard is it to learn????

Actually I'd like it to selectively do fetchmails job, so that mail
matching certain criteria could be left on the isp provided server for
retrieval to a different pc... But that would be asking a lot.