Re: MUA Filters vs Procmail filters[was] RE: Mailing list procmail recipe

It would appear that on Apr 7, William Hooper did say:

> As someone else pointed out, it frees you to use multiple clients with the
> same filters.  For example you could use Evolution at home, mutt via SSH
> at work, and SquirrelMail via the web at the library.  Have them all
> pointing to the same IMAP server with procmail filters and you are all
> set.
>
> I believe it would also be more efficient when using IMAP because the
> mails get moved on the server instead of the client having to move them,
> but it might not be that big of a difference.

Now I'm curious. I'm currently accessing remote pop and imap mailboxes
directly with pine because I used to have a problem with fetchmail sometimes
flushing mail that sendmail then failed to deliver to my personal linux
boxes local spool.

I haven't looked into procmail because I was under the impression that it
has to be run on the machine with the mailbox that's being processed.
<sheepish grin>

Do I understand you to say I can run procmail from my local machine to
filter mail that is still in isp provided mailbox???  [even a pop3 box?]

And if so can it be configured to leave any mail that doesn't match an
filtering rule in said isp mailbox, while downloading specified matches
to my choice of mail folders?

Because if that's true then I'm gonna have to start reading procmail
how-to documents... <wolfish grin>