[OT] RE: Xcdroast says my ATAPI CD ROM should be simulated SCSI

Ow Mun Heng Wrote :

> > Huh... we're talking bout FC2?? I didn't see that statement.
> > It's actually depreciated in kernel 2.6, to be exact.
> > Since FC2 runs 2.6, that means it's depreciated.
>
> <PET PEEVE>
> "D E P R E C A T E D", not "D E P R E C I A T E D".
>
> Two different words.
> </PET PEEVE>

Not really.. According to Random House Websters
They are considered synonymous. But anyway.

de-pre-ci-ate (di pree'shee ayt )  v. <-at-ed, -at-ing>
              v.t.
                  1.  to reduce the purchasing value of (money).
                  2.  to lessen the value or price of.
                  3.  to claim depreciation on (a property) for
                       tax purposes.
                  4.  to represent as of little value or merit;
                       belittle.
              v.i.
                  5.  to decline in value.
             [1640-50; < LL depretiatus undervalued, ptp. of
             depretiare (in ML sp. depreciare) = L de- DE - +
             -pretiare, der. of pretium PRICE + -atus - ATE 1]
   Derived words
             --de-pre'ci-at ing-ly, adv.
             --de-pre'ci-a tor, n.
             Usage. See DEPRECATE.

dep-re-cate (dep'ri kayt )  v.t. <-cat-ed, -cat-ing>
                  1.  to express earnest disapproval of.
                  2.  to urge reasons against; protest against
                       (a scheme, purpose, etc.).
                  3.  to depreciate; belittle.
                  4.  Archaic. to pray for deliverance from.
             [1615-25; < L deprecatus, ptp. of deprecari to beg
             relief from, deprecate = de- DE - + precari to
             PRAY]
   Derived words
             --dep're-cat ing-ly, adv.
             --dep re-ca'tion, n.
             --dep're-ca tor, n.
             Usage. The most current sense of DEPRECATE is " to
             express disapproval of. " In a sense development
             still occasionally criticized, DEPRECATE has come
             to be synonymous with the similar but
             etymologically unrelated word DEPRECIATE in the
             sense " belittle ": The author deprecated the
             importance of his work. In self- compounds,
             DEPRECATE has almost totally replaced DEPRECIATE
             in modern usage: She charmed the audience with a
             self-deprecating account of her career.