Re: Some problems getting started

Not alot of detail to go on here, but I'll offer my recommendations concerning your "pruning" methodology.

I do NOT recommend you spend alot of time uninstalling things already installed. Hard drive space is so cheap nowadays, I usually just install everything possible and tune what things run at boot time afterwards.

The fact that installers figure out all the dependencies for you is a great help, and tweaking things will likely just get you all messed up. No doubt, there's ways to do it, but you need to ask yourself how important is your "pruning" philosophy anyway?

There's lots more important things to be learning in Linux than how you can manage to cripple and/or break the system.

I've put a couple links on the java question for your benefit.

http://home.bredband.no/gaulyk/java/tutorial/javaredhat.html

http://mozilla.weebeastie.net/java.shtml

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164299

BC

Dov Zamir wrote:

Hi All,

I am more or less a newb (I last tried Linux about 10 years ago). I
installed RH9 and then upgraded to FC1. My hardware is an ECS K7SOM+
(thatÅ a SIS730 chipset) with an AMD processor with 256MB RAM.

I originally installed everything, planning to prune what I don need as
time goes on. But when I try to uninstall packages, like the development
packages, I get an error message saying that I have to install about a
dozen different packages before I can uninstall? Any ideas whatÅ going
on?

Also (maybe this should be in a different thread, but then again it may
be related) I cant get Java to run under Mozilla. It is installed, and I
even tried to install the run-time from SUN, but it still doesnt work.
Mozilla is configured to use the Java plug-in, but I just see the icon
for uninstalled plugins, and an error message stating that I need the
java plugin.

Any suggestions?

Dov Zamir
Linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx