Re: dns problem in fedora

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Mi, den 07.04.2004 schrieb Jorge Manta Bulhoes um 13:21:

Fedora Core 1 has a problem in the DNS.
If you install bind, the /var/named directory gets 750 permissions and
is onwed by root and group named.
If you add a zone in /etc/named.conf from another server as a slave and
don't touch the file in /var/named the zone doesn't get transfered
because it can't create the file for the zone.
Solution: change the permissions in /var/named to 770.

JB

I did not find a related bugzilla article for that problem. Would you please enter that issue as a bug into bugzilla so that the bind maintainer (Daniel Walsh) can check and fix it?

Alexander

Wouldn't it be preferable to have a subdirectory /var/named/slave that is 770 and define the slave zone files in named.conf to be placed there? I suspect the point of the mode 750 with root:named ownership was to reduce the risk of a compromised named modifying master zone files.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021