Re: (Alsa) MIDI no sound.

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Di, den 06.04.2004 schrieb Bert Haskins um 05:47:

I can't get any sound out of either Rosegarden4 or Muse.
The Midi file loads and runs but is dead silent.
Sound is (very) good under XMMS .
Lsmod shows all of the SND modules loaded.
Alsa-mixer doesn't show a slider for anything that I can relate to Midi??????
What am I missing?
Thanks,
Bert

Just not enough information given.

Which soundcard do you have

Sound Blaster 16 PCI, ,

which
modules.conf settings for ALSA,

# ALSA portion

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

all modules loaded?

yes

Any messages from
syslog in /var/log/messages?

Only one about the sound card.... initializing

Alexander

I'm beginning to that that my soundcard(s) are a major part of the problem.
The box says that it supports general midi but the alsa page says no.
I spent (wasted ) a lot of time trying to get Timidity configured to translate
the midi to wave but at the very end of the ./config it spits out a lot of errors.

[later]
I then tried another sound card, a Turtle Beach, which the alsa page says that it does support midi.
Same thing, good sound in Xmms, no sound in Rosegarden.
Thanks for answering,
Bert