Decent Open Source Service Monitor app

I'm looking for a good open source service monitor. I just need something that will monitor specific services or ports and can send an email if the service fails. I don't mind using Big Brother or something like that, but it's really overkill on our network. Can someone point me in a good direction that can handle Linux and Windows boxes?

--
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Mark Haney
Development, Systems and Network Administration
DoctorDirectory.com
http://www.doctordirectory.com