Re: MP3s and Linux [ogg format]

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 04:51:58AM -0700, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:

> So tell me, which portable mp3 players play ogg.
> I would love to have a portable ogg/mp3 player.

Neuros - http://www.neurosaudio.com/
Rio Karma - http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=220&cat=53

Probably more on the way.

And to the others who are pro-ogg:

Yes, its coming, and other devices are starting to support it, and all thats a good thing...

I think Tom's point is - it takes time for such a technology change to take place.

The hardware I have (car CD player) will only play mp3's - so I choose mp3 as my format
for music files.

I'm sure I could search and find a new car CD player, and portable CD player (if I wanted
one) and even a home stereo that all play ogg, and then I could switch over to ogg for
everything - but how much would that cost me, and why do it now when mp3 is doing the
job just fine ?

The next time I have to buy any music players, I'll be looking for ogg, but that may not be
for a year or two... these things just take time...

Some people will go for the first wave of a new technology, others will wait until its become
more established...

John.

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger