Re: MP3s and Linux [ogg format]

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 07:34:49AM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 03:03:36AM +0800, Dexter Ang wrote:

And of course, to those that already have lots of mp3's and would like
to convert them all to ogg, there's a script on this page that will do
it for you. I've tested it, and so far it works quite well.

http://linux.oldcrank.com/tips/mp3ogg/

You really don't want to be converting one lossy format to another. Far
better idea to go back to the original source and re-rip it. Or just
leave your old files in mp3 and rip new stuff to ogg.

If you satisfy the required libraries for this conversion you have the required libraries to play the mp3's so why bother.

But legal issues abound....

If I was in charge I would advise you to back up all your legal mp3s.

Then send polite notes to your mp3 provider and tell them to provide ogg
formats or you will take your business some place else.

I would then consider converting them to ogg format, thus, when the
next update does break your music player keeps on playing.  If you do
not like the converted sound quality go to the closet and rip fresh
ogg encoded versions.

Next remind me to remove my tongue in cheek.

So tell me, which portable mp3 players play ogg.
I would love to have a portable ogg/mp3 player.

Google on:
Portable OGG Player

There's quite a few.... ;)

Additionally, as the linux on iPod project, the possibility would exist to play OGG on an iPod...

--
Keven Ring               | The called it Paradise, I don't know why
The MITRE Corporation    | Call someplace Paradise, Kiss it Goodbye