Re: static routes after reboot

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 09:46:18PM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> >>12.12.12.0/24 via 192.168.0.1
> >>14.14.14.0/24 via 192.168.2.1
> >>
> >>Using full class C address for the example
> >
> >These two /24 are from Class A range, not Class C.
> >
> Learn your networking. ;-)

This is a bold statement. You can trust me that I know _exactly_
what I'm talking about here. You might want to check my professional
background to verify.

> The netmask he uses makes it a class C subnet (out of a class A address
> space)
> You would use a /8 netmask for a class A network.

"The netmask he uses makes it a class C subnet" is totally wrong.
Classes were address ranges, in which a subnet mask was implicit.
NOT the other way 'round.

To be precise 12.12.12.0/24 doesn't exist in Classful Thinking at all,
so speaking about "this is Class X" is wrong anyway.

"They are /24s of of the former Class A range" is the only correct
statement about these two networks.

Anyway, this is off-topic here and was meant to go via private mail
in the first place, my fault. If you bother to follow up (please
AFTER reading a good book on networking history), do so via private
mail.

Daniel