Re: Snort

Am Sa, den 03.04.2004 schrieb G Rajesh um 15:45:

> Hi,
> Few days ago, I sought your help to make snort start
> dynamically/automatically at the connection of dial up modem, as in
> Suse. I was suggested to compare the scripts in Suse with that of
> Fedora. I did that but I could not make much out of it as I am not the
> developer/programmer. But I have given the scripts, as in Suse, as
> under. Can some developer be kind enough to correct the same to suit our
> Fedora?

I recommended you to compare the SuSE and the other init script.

> The file /etc/init.d/snort is as under:
> #! /bin/sh
> # Copyright (c) 1995-2002 SuSE, Germany.

> if [ -s /etc/sysconfig/snort ] ; then
> 	. /etc/sysconfig/snort
> else
> 	echo "/etc/sysconfig/snort not found."
> 	return=$rc_failed
> 	rc_exit
> fi

It sources /etc/sysconfig/snort and get variable content from there.

> if [ ! -n "$SNORT_INTERFACE" -o -z "$SNORT_INTERFACE" ]; then
> 	echo "Error, you must specify an interface in /etc/sysconfig/snort"
> 	return=$rc_failed
> 	rc_exit
> fi
>
> if [ "$SNORT_PROMISC" = "yes" ]; then
> 	PROMISC=

$SNORT_PROMISC is such a variable and the script checks if it is set (to
yes). More variables are checked.

> The file /etc/sysconfig/snort is as under:
> ## Path:	Network/Monitors/Snort
> ## Type:	string(eth0)
> ## Default:	eth0
> ## ServiceRestart: snort

In this file the variable content is set.

> SNORT_INTERFACE="ppp0"

> SNORT_PROMISC="no"

> Now, you may ask what happened when I copied these files to our Fedora:
> The error messages are like this:
> rc_status: command not found
> rc_exit: commmand not found

Just because the init scripts on Fedora do have to look different then
those on SuSE just because Fedora uses functions from
/etc/init.d/functions. SuSE operates different.

> I feel this automatic/dynamic activation will be very useful for
> newbies/non-techies.

Tell that the packager of snort for Fedora (snort is not part of Fedora
Core 1). Or just implement all what you request by your own. That is one
possibility with an open source OS like Fedora. Feel free to improve
things.

> Thanks is advance.
> Rajesh

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 21:59:11 up 15 days, 5:40, load average: 0.35, 0.45, 0.50
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]