Re: Strange Fedora Booting problem: can notmount "LABEL=*"partitions

Guolin Cheng wrote:
Rick,

 The fsck.ext3 is correct:

 -bash-2.05b# ls -alF /sbin/fsck.ext3
-rwxr-xr-x  3 root root 590212 Aug  1  2003 /sbin/fsck.ext3*
-bash-2.05b# md5sum /sbin/fsck.ext3
0005dffb49a0119479b75fe195937824  /sbin/fsck.ext3
-bash-2.05b# rpm -Vf /sbin/fsck.ext3
-bash-2.05b#

Any ideas? Thanks.

Well, if fsck.ext3 is OK, then the next possibility is that the journal for /var is messed up. You can convert /var (/dev/hda10) back to ext2, then run fsck on the (now) ext2 filesystem:

	tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda10
	e2fsck /dev/hda10

Convert it back to an ext3 filesystem and run fsck on it again to check:

	tune2fs -j /dev/hda10
	fsck /dev/hda10

It's just an idea to try.