Re: grub.conf help (w/ XP)

Edward Croft wrote:

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 13:25, Michael A. Peters wrote:

Yes, but the issue is Windows was installed as C:\
When making it the slave, it now becomes D:\ and everything in the
install that is hard coded as C:\ becomes screwed.

That's why I need to use a boot loader that switches the drives.

It can be done in grub. The key is to make Windows think the drive is the first drive. This is done with the commands.

   map (hd0) (hd1)
   map (hd1) (hd0)
   chainloader +1

I'm sorry I don't have my home file with me, otherwise, I could give you
the exact example.

For more info, use info grub

Edward
Exactly how did you get this to work?
I have windows on my slave drive but the commands you list above result in an error from grub about "invalid or unsupported executable format"

My exact grub format I am trying to use is
   map (hd0) (hd1)
   map (hd1) (hd0)
   rootnoverify (hd0,0)
   chainloader +1

I have also tried changing the rootnoverify (hd1,0)
tried changing the sequence of the last 2 lines,

And in every case I get the same error message from grub.

If I change bios to boot from the second drive it works perfectly, but that is less than ideal to have to change the bios setting for dual booting.