Re: Determining IP information for eth0 failed

St0rM wrote:

In /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 I have: USERCTL=yes PEERDNS=yes TYPE=Ethernet DEVICE=eth0 HWADDR=00:40:f4:6f:b4:90 BOOTPROTO=dhcp
(Information for NETMASK, DOMAIN, IPADDR, DHCP_HOSTNAME, GATEWAY, NETWORK and BROADCAST
seem to be missing. Should I fill in these myself,(and with which values), or should
DHCP/something else do this for me?)

At least IPADDR and NETMASK should really be there...

He is using DHCP.
With that he should not manually assign the information you ask for. He also should not assign the nameservers by default unless his admin has messed up the dhcp config and it is not handing out addresses and other required information properly.

However one line that is missing from his file that is in mine by default is " ONBOOT='yes' " This tells the system to activate the interface at boot time.