yum x RPM x massaging file systems (but which dir ?)

Hi all,

Some time ago I sent this to the list:

 http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-February/msg03916.html

It went by unanswered, and I also didn't myself have any time since then
for further investigation.

Lately I got the idea that it's RPM, not yum, requiring additional file
system space.

I suppose that the space required would be used on some work directory
used by RPM on the update process.

Since this machine is a multi-boot one in a cramped HD, I'd like to find
out which specific directory would need to be expanded, so that I could
move it to its own brand-new stretchable n' squeezable filesystem [good
old Partition Magic to the rescue - ;)  ].

No luck on my googling for which dir would be this one (actually I'm not
so sure of what to search). Tried 'Maximum RPM' and some other docs on RPM
and I'm still clueless.

Help anyone ?

Thiers