Re: Changing primary user group

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 07:22, Mike Westkamper wrote:
> I need to set up a number of users and assign them to a primary group. For
> example, I am setting up a FC1 box as a CVS server. The approach I am using
> is to set up a number of cvs users and want to assign their primary group as
> CVSUSER.
>
> The GNOME applet doesn't seem to allow it. (add user / change properties)
> And I have tried the traditional handtools but apparently there is someting
> else that prevents adduser/etc from really working.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike - this seemed to work for me:

- Use "Add Group" to create your cvs group
- Use "Add User" to create a user. Deselect "Create a private group"
- Select the new user and open the "Properties" dialog.
- Go to the groups tab
- Deselect the group "Users", and select the cvs group. It should then
appear in the "Primary Group" box.

The command line equivalent (far simpler, IMHO) would be

# groupadd cvsuser
# useradd -g cvsuser -c "User Name" username

You can even use the "-D" option on useradd to make your cvsuser group
the default for newly created accounts.

Cheers, Ben