Re: System Tray empty after updating KDE

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 11:13 am, Charles Howse wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently added the following to my /etc/yum.conf:
>
> # KDE US Mirror
>
> [kde-redhat-fedora-stable]
> name=kde-redhat.org (fedora-stable)
> baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/$releasever/stable
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> [kde-redhat-fedora-stable-all]
> name=kde-redhat.org (fedora-stable-all)
> baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/all/stable
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> [kde-redhat-kde-stable]
> name=kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
> baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/$releasever/stable
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> [kde-redhat-kde-stable-all]
> name=kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
> baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/all/stable
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> After saving and running yum update, the icons that used to appear in the
> tray are no longer there.
> I had Kgpg and Kmix before.  I have checked the settings for Kmix, and it
> is set to show the volume control in the tray.
> Kgpg works, and I can find it running with ps -aux | grep kgpg, but no
> icon.
>
> Also, the grub background (/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz) is now black-and-white
> instead of color.
>
> Also, the login screen for X has changed from the default Bluecurve to
> something that looks like it might be xdm...username and password in a
> small window, with the clock next to them.  Not what I used to have at all.
>
> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

OK, I just solved part of my question.  I discovered that the update had
removed the system tray from the taskbar.  I put it back and now I have the
icons that were missing.  Strange behavior....

I still don't understand the black-and-white background for grub, and the
login manager changing.

- --
Charles Howse
Jackson, TN