Re: zip disk format

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:17:24 -0800 (PST)
Gerhard Magnus <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to be transfer files on a zip disk between work (a mac
> > > environment running OS X) and home (Linux).  How should I format
> > > the disk so I can mount it on the Linux system and what parameters
> > > should I use for the mount command?  It seems the mac OS X system
> > > can read from and write to any format, but I can't get anything to
> > > work on the Linux end. Could it be something in my /etc/fstab file
> > > that's interfering with this?
> >
> > Most likely, yes. You either have the wrong device configuration
> > (/dev/sd?) or you're trying to mount the wrong FS type, or your
> > kernel doesn't support the specific FS needed. Posting the error
> > msgs would be very helpful...
> >
> > The first assumption is easy to prove: can you mount _any_ zip disk?
> > If you can, the device configuration is ok, so we're down to the FS.
> >
> > If you're sure what FS the disk has been formatted with, you can
> > override fstab settings. For example, here I have:
> >
> > /dev/hdd4	/mnt/zip	auto	noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> >
> > and I can do
> >
> > mount -t vfat /mnt/zip
>
> Thanks -- I've finally been successful mounting my zip disk, but only
> as superuser and with the command augmented to:
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
>
> Is there some way I can do this other than as root and without having
> to type so much?

As for the FS type, yes, just make sure you replace 'auto' by 'vfat' on
/etc/fstab (although 'auto' would have allowed for proper FS detection
AFAIK -- meaning this should not be necessary...).

As for the root-only issue, appending 'user' to the options (in the
example above, the "noauto,owner,kudzu" string -- no spaces!) should
allow non-root mounting. From mount manpage:

"(iii) Normally, only the superuser can mount  file  systems.
However, when  fstab  contains the user option on a line, then
anybody can mount the corresponding system.

Thus, given a line

		  /dev/cdrom  /cd  iso9660  ro,user,noauto,unhide

any user can mount the iso9660 file system found on his CDROM
using the command

		  mount /dev/cdrom
or
		  mount /cd

For  more details, see fstab(5).  Only the user that mounted a
filesystem can unmount it again."

HTH,

Andre

--