From: Ben Steeves <bcs@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Making a spare boot up floppy
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:03:52 -0400

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 18:42, Jeff Vian wrote:
> The easiest way to make a usable (and bootable) image of a boot floppy
> is with dd.
> Use "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=512 count=2440" to create the file
> boot.img that is an exact copy of the floppy.
>
> That will create a bootable image of the floppy that then can be put
> back onto another floppy using rawrite from dos/windows, or dd on linux.

Of course... for rescuing a failed/broken Fedora installation, the CD is
actually quite good. It holds a lot more handy software than a boot
floppy. I consider floppies to be 'single use' devices... at least for
critical uses. After being burned (badly) by some "rescue" disks that
couldn't several years back, I have never depended on them again. CDs
all the way!

--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves@xxxxxx