From: Ron Herardian <rherardi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fedora core 1 sendmail problems
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 19:03:17 -0800

In reviewing this thread it seems to me there could be an underlying network issue not related to the sendmail configuration, despite port forwarding for port 25 apparently working as before. Although the MTA is accepting connections from hosts on the local IP network (you can telnet to port 25 as Alexander reminded me) it may not be able to send a response to a host over the Internet.

As others have suggested, it's best to rule out network configuration problems, e.g., a wrong netmask or router setting that would not affect local traffic but that would break IP connections from remote networks. What you're observing might be produced, for example, if the route to the
remote network were incorrect, i.e., your server gets the TCP connect via port redirection through your NetGear box and sends an ACK but the remote never gets it because the ACK never leaves the local network (routing problem, e.g., bad netmask).

What happens when you try to telnet from a remote host (not on your local network)? If the connection is dropped right away it would suggest that the originating host cannot get a connection on port 25. If the connection times out, e.g., after a few seconds, it would suggest a firewall or routing issue, i.e., packets are lost or discarded/dropped. I suspect you'll find the latter.

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar ? FREE! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/