Re: Bogus Email- Need help to do detective work

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 05:24:36PM -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:

> Thank you Tom

You are welcome....
    This is a complex and moving topic.  Legal types here are busy
    trying to write laws to control it.  But will always be a year or
    two behind.  Take advantage of a good ISP....  replace the ones
    that do not provide good filter and isolation services.

    Do not let the legislature get involved in technology.  Get them
    to focus on the fraud.  Bad laws will only make things hard for
    the good guys.

> Your message below should be an education to many, and just amplifies
> the earlier discussion on why HTML  should not ever be used (or allowed)
> on a mailing list.

Of interest my "spamassassin" settings flagged and isolated my own
message because I was 'too explicit' in my message.  Your reply
triggered a good score even after feeding my message back into the mix
because you did not trim the original message.

I am not down on HTML, it is marvelous and has it's place.  I just
look at the text portions.  With the right settings in .mailcap "lynx"
will do the right thing for mutt.  Pine has a wonderful and almost
safe text manager for html (uses lynx as a filter).  These let me see
mail from friends and family...  For the good ones from friends and
family I locally bounce the message to a spare account and use a
browser based mail tool.

Most html messages on high volume lists do get tossed by me.

Netscape, mozilla, opera, etc all have preference settings
that are invaluable in this.  Scan the home pages for each...

Most ISP's have good filters.  Set up content filters for Mom and
Grandma at first as if they were 5 year old.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l