Re: Bogus Email- Need help to do detective work

On Sunday 28 March 2004 09:01, jim tate wrote:
> I have been recieveing Bogus email's to sign onto to my bank
> account, so someone can get my userid and password.
> My Bank say's these are bogus email's and not to respond to them.
> I have been recieveing them in Mozilla mail.
> How can I tell where these email will return to , should I reply or
> respond to info requested.
> There has got to be a way to back track.
> I hope I can get the linux community help me to track down the low
> life crooks.
> Just think how many people are falling for this scam, it could be
> your dear little grandmother, BEASTS.
>
> Jim Tate

It's almost certain that the originating source of the e-mail has been
broken into and hijacked from its rightful owner and he/she probably
doesn't even know his/her system has sent out any email.  It would be
a pretty stupid crook, indeed, that would use a traceable mail server
to send this stuff out.

Use "whois" to find out who owns the originating mail server and alert
the owner, also alert the web page host, and both up stream service
providers.

Regards,  Mike Klinke