Re: new memory = more swap?

On Thursday 25 March 2004 11:09 am, Matt Morgan wrote:

> Is it still also true, though, that swap should at a minimum = RAM
> (this is knowledge that dates back to early versions of SCO, which
> was weird anyway, I know)?

That recommendation was given because in case of a panic the kernel will
attempt to dump it's memory to swap for later examination.

As far as I know the linux kernel still does this; I'll try to find out
from someone who definitely knows.

So you want at least as much swap as memory if you're ever going to look
at a dump after a panic.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation