Re: OpenVPN [was: IPSec VPN docs]

On 26 Mar 2004 11:34:34 -0800, Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just remember, OpenVPN is not based on IPSec and it cannot interoperate
with IPSec-based VPN devices.
I'm not sure what your DLINK thing is, but if it's some kind of VPN
server appliance, and it's based on IPSec, an OpenVPN client will not be
able to connect to it; so, you cannot try OpenVPN "with the DLINK".

What you can do, though, is to install a Linux box and configure it as
an OpenVPN server. Quite a few people are actually using their Linux
firewalls as OpenVPN servers - maybe not the absolute best idea from a
technical p.o.v., but it's cheap and simple (it's the situation
described in the howto on fedoranews.org).

Good luck,

Yes I know that. I wasn't really tied to the DLink firewall (a firewall/VPN appliance) but it is setup for a VPN so I would have really preferred that to setting up another VPN, however, if this works, then I really don't care.