Re: Poll: Customized Fedora

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:29:36 -0500, Adam Voigt wrote
> I think it's a good idea, especially if you could do visual aspect
> changes as well (custom installer, desktop environment, backgrounds,
> icon placement, menu's, etc.).

I think it's a bad idea.  It sounds like what you're doing is giving folks the
ability to select "Choose packages" in the Fedora installer before actually
installing the operating system.

Maintaining a distribution requires more than just tossing together downloaded
 software and praying it works.  There is a fair amount of release engineering
that goes into it.  You need to ensure software and libraries work, that the
installer is consistent and easy to use, etc, etc, and then provide some means
of ongoing maintenance (even if it's as simple as "here's a diff file, there's
the code, have fun").

This process is not conduive to, nor indeed feasable, via a "public one size
fits all" webpage service.  If you have something else in mind, like a
"pre-customize Fedora Core with your own logos" or something, that's another
thing entirely.  You could just release your own version of fedora-logos.