Re: What's wrong with my Java installation?

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 01:05, Vikas.Bhasin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently installed java on FC1, but i'm not able to run anything.
> Even if i try to execute programs like 'java' and javac' i get an
> error ;
>
> "usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/i386/native_threads/java: error while loading
> shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory"

You will need to install the package "compat-libstdc++", but i recommend
you to install Sun Java 1.4.2 because this one support the NPTL kernel
provided by Fedora. If you still need to use the older version for
compatibility reasons, before running java set the environment variable
"export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19" in order to use the old kernel threads
implementation

> upon checking the package i find that its 'jdk-1.3-fcs' that's
> installed on my system. What does 'fcs' stands for?

FCS = First Customer Ship, is the name that sun uses for GA (General
Availability) releases. It means that you are using the first public non
beta release of jdk 1.3 without any subsequent fix releases (like
1.3_01... etc.)

> I also tried to set the PATH and CLASSPATH but i get the same error as
> above.  Later i tried installing "eclipse IDE" which supposidly has
> its own copy of java and doesn't need to install java seperately (not
> very sure). but that also didn't work.

You need to install the JVM in order to use Eclipse, and execute
"eclipse -vm pathtojava/java". WSAD, the IBM enhanced version of eclipse
includes a JVM