Re: setting up cable internet connection

Not sure which Road Runner you're using, but I'm with BrightHouse Networks in Central Florida and have written confirmation that they DO block the following ports (25,137-139,80).

The only way I got my site up was using Custom DNS service from DynDNS.org, an addl, mailhop and webhop redirect to a non-standard port on my Linux box. I run http/smtp/ssh/pop3/imap with no problems off a 75MHz P-1 with 96Mb RAM running Fedora core 1 in runlevel 3.

For another $40/mo on top of the $50 I'm paying now, I can get Business Road Runner and get the exact same service except they open up port 80 and 25, but it's more economical to stick with DynDNS at this stage.

BC

Jakarta wrote:

* dalen (dalen@xxxxxxxxxx) on [040325 09:09] thus spake:

Keith,
You might check if Comcast has other sub ISPs that allow servers. TimeWarner used to only have RoadRunner which disallows servers. Now they also have AOL, Stic.net, and Earthlink. Stic.net and Earthlink allow non-commercial servers on residential accounts and do not block ports. I use Earthlink now for this reason.

Thanks,

Dale

I believe Road Runner allows non-commercial servers as well. I run
http/smtp/ssh/etc. without any problems. They only block samba/netbios
at the router level (ports 137-139) but that is because of security
issues.

-- Brian Chase Phone: 386-775-5366 2345 Hillside Ave. Fax: 309-276-2048 Orange City, FL 32763 Email: networkr0@xxxxxxxxxx

http://openalternatives.net