From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matt Morgan
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 1:09 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: new memory = more swap?

On 03/25/2004 01:50 PM, John Thompson wrote:

>Craig Thomas wrote:
>
>>I have 256MB ram and a 502MB swap, and want to increase to 384MB ram,
>>[i know, i know it's an old machine].  I've read in the RH manual and
>>else where that double the amount of ram is "right".  If I want more
>>swap but don't have any unpartitioned space left, what are my options?

>>(I do, however, have lots of free space on my drive).
>>

>The advice that swap=2(RAM) dates from the time when RAM was expensive
>and few user machines had more than 64MB.
>
>These days most people have plenty of RAM and thus require less swap
>space.  I have 384MB RAM and a 256MB swap partition that is seldom more
than 25% used.

Is it still also true, though, that swap should at a minimum = RAM (this

is knowledge that dates back to early versions of SCO, which was weird
anyway, I know)? If so, then having more swap than RAM may be worthwhile

anyway, because you probably have plenty of disk space, and you might
add RAM later (and you won't have to repartition at that point if you
have extra swap).

I realize it's also a lot easier to repartition these days, too. But I
still like to avoid it.

Can you have too much swap? (Disk space issues aside). If I have 512 Mb
of RAM, and set up a 1Gb swap partition, did I make a mistake?