From: "Leon Phelps" <leon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:57:29 -0500 (EST)
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: new memory = more swap?

> I concur. It is unlikely that you will need/want to increase your amount
> of swap. You can monitor your swap usage if you feel that your machine is
> lacking, and increase it if the utilization is high.
>
> -Leon
>
> > Craig Thomas wrote:
> >
> >> I have 256MB ram and a 502MB swap, and want to increase to 384MB
> >> ram, [i know, i know it's an old machine].  I've read in the RH
> >> manual and else where that double the amount of ram is "right".  If
> >> I want more swap but don't have any unpartitioned space left, what
> >> are my options?  (I do, however, have lots of free space on my
> >> drive).
> >
> > The advice that swap=2(RAM) dates from the time when RAM was expensive and
> > few user machines had more than 64MB.
> >
> > These days most people have plenty of RAM and thus require less swap
> > space.  I have 384MB RAM and a 256MB swap partition that is seldom more
> > than 25% used.
> >
> > --
> >
> > -John (JohnThompson@xxxxxxxxxx)
> >

> > --

+( duncan brown
+( duncanbrown@xxxxxxxxx
+( http://www.linuxadvocate.net

she's crashing her car in an intersection
she did not see the light
she's walking round and round in a shopping mall
as if she had no sight
dreams are only clouds that form and dissipate
the sky is a highway for metal birds
and land is real estate
she does not understand
her world depends upon a history of lies
she walks right by all her old high school friends
for she has dollar signs in her eyes
  - the dead milkmen, "dollar signs in her eyes"