Re: Database Startup

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:02:04 -0500, "George Lemos" <listreader@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I am making progress, I have phpadmin in now, but had to yum php-mysql in
>order to get it started. H
>
>However I think something got muddled yesterday while I was wrestling with
>mysql trying to get the root password added for the localhost and host. No
>password I normally use for box testing seems to be working. What's the
>recommended solution to reset the DB root level passwords? Do I need to
>reinstall one or all of the packages?

There are probably more elegant solutions, but I lost the root passwords when
I was first learning MySQL.  Since I had no real data there, renamed the mysql
directory holding the tables to mysql.old and restarted mysql. I then started
over with a fresh DB.

Backup is a good thing!  I have a cron job that runs every night and backs up
all my dbs:

  0 0 * * * export test2;declare test2=`date|cut -c 1-3`;mysqldump
--all-databases -prootpasswordhere |gzip >
/root/sql-backup/all_databases_$test2.sql.gz

The files contain everything needed to recreate the databases.

--
   Steve