Re: mozilla and Evolution

On 03/24/2004 09:46 AM, Wolfgang wrote:

ut is there a way to tell mozilla to use evolution as its default mail
program instead of mozilla mail.

I use Thunderbird and Firefox and installed the mozex extension to achieve this functionality.

I tried that once, following the instructions pretty carefully, and couldn't get it to work (firefox & thunderbird).

Just check the FAQ details on the website which was posted on a previous
post. Here's the link

http://mozex.mozdev.org/

Seems pretty explanatory to me. Works great for me. It will even open
Evolution if it's not already running. :-)

I tried the FAQ, and it doesn't work quite right for me. For Firefox and Thunderbird, you're supposed to tell mozex to run a shell script that looks like this:
---------
export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/thunderbird

if [ $(ps aux | grep thunderbird | wc -l) -gt 4 ]; then
# thunderbird is running (thunderbird est lance)
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -remote "mailto($1?subject=$2)"
else
# thunderbird is not running (thunderbird n'est pas lance)
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -P default -compose mailto:$1?subject=$2;fi
---------
Makes sense. The idea is to use the "remote" option if Thunderbird is already running, so you don't run into the profile manager (god I wish I could turn that off), or the "compose" option if Thunderbird is not running. On my computer it only works when Thunderbird is NOT running--not when it's already up. I get the profile manager.

So I experimented. When I ran

ps aux | grep thunderbird | wc -l

at the command line, I got "3". OK, so I changed the if statement to "-gt 2" instead of "-gt 4". Same problem.

So I experimented some more. I commented everything but these two lines:

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/thunderbird
$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -remote "mailto($1?subject=$2)"

Voila! Now it works when Thunderbird is running (but I wouldn't expect it to work when tbird is not running, of course). So this is better but not perfect.

Anyway, all I can figure is there's something wrong with that if statement. What could it be? The script never thinks Thunderbird is running, when the if statement is operating.

Thanks,
Matt