Re: IPSec VPN docs

Mark Haney wrote:

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:33:13 -0500, Christopher K. Johnson <ckjohnson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The easiest way to configure ipsec vpn and still keep kernel maintenance
simple is by using the 2.6 kernel.  Follow notes elsewhere on how to
migrate to the 2.6 kernel, and hopefully the attached note will help you
from there.  It is a work in progress.

Hi Chris, thanks for the docs on this. Just one question, I'm not really worried about kernel maintenance so I'd prefer to stick with the latest FC1 kernel (2.4.22-1.2174?) and use FreeS/Wan. Will this doc work on this configuration as well?

No, because FreeS/Wan patches to 2.4 kernel utilize a tunnel interface device. So the interface configuration is different, and the iptables would utilize the tunnel interface as the input interface for packets coming from a vpn peer.

Check out http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.ipsec.html which makes this distinction, and the freeswan docs linked from there.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021