Re: x86_64 "Bad RIP value" on boot

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

Andrius wrote:

First off - I haven't got the entire dmesg, I didn't fancy writing (and the

boot didn't get far enough to write to disk - I'm hoping someone has already
bumped into this and can point me in the right direction.

I recently had to capture console messages for a boot problem. Check out the boot parameters/grub, and the getty/agetty parts in the tldp.org link below. The first was sufficient to get me a log of console messages from booting the kernel. The latter if you want login access via serial port after boot. I used minicom on another pc acting as console, and set to use 15200 n81 no hardware flow control (cts/rts), then I added the following to boot parameters:

console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

Typo - sorry - 115200 is a valid baud rate, not 15200 stated in first paragraph.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021