Re: Problems with dual boot and grub

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 18:18, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:

> > > Mark:
> > > You da man. Worked the first time, no problems.
> > I need to essentially preserve the Windows
> > partition in as transparent a process as possible, since I lease my HW
> > and need to send it back to Dell when the lease expires.
>
> Linux or WindowZ you want to wipe the disk before you send
> the hardware back, IMO.
>
> Your address includes "MedAnalytics" which translates to me as a
> company with potential of having confidential content on the hard
> drive.  Your company liability may be such that they cannot trust Dell
> to do the low level format that I suspect is needed.
>
> I would check but I doubt that you need or want a return process that
> does not clean the hardware.   Thus you may be constraining yourself
> in ways that are unnecessary and have the potential of liability
> for you and the company.

Tom,

Thanks for your post and raising these important points. Believe me, I
can pretty much recite the HIPAA privacy and security requirements in my
sleep... ;-)

I have even lectured on the subject. Some of the presentations were
literally years before HIPAA (1996 Public Law 104-191) was a gleam in
the Clinton Administration's eyes.

I have various procedures here that I utilize before sending any
magnetic media anywhere. While nothing short of melting down the hard
disk platters would provide near absolute erasure, I am comfortable in
the notion that I take reasonable and appropriate measures to properly
handle PHI (protected health information).

Best regards,

Marc Schwartz