Re: connecting to a winxp box

     Being with Windows for quite sometime and just now beginning a linx
conversion, I have learned the following:
1. MS has a "closed loop" in terms of the mainstream contributing to windows
functionality. If a operating system is used on a large scale wouldn't the
consumer be the first person you sought out to help refine the system? Linux
keeps everybody on the same page because they are encouraged to submit ideas
and problems to consider and solve. It's that hands on type of mentality that
gives linux the advantage I think.
2. By nature, linux is more involved but I think it sharpens a person problem
solving skills moreso than windows. I like the fact that with linux you must be
connect to the process for it to work and those skills can carry through to any
other O/S you chose to introduce yourself to. Linux has taught me a attention
to detail that would've passed by me otherwise.
    Now of course this isn't written specifically to degrade windows because
computer operation is still uncomfortable for others to learn. Simplicity is a
must to accomplish the goal of learning to use computers. Be nice to have that
kinda partnership to make these O/S's more agreeable but sadly there is no
money in that and since MS powers roughly about 80 percent of our computers,
why mess with something that is already profitable?. Thats my take on it and
although I might have drifted somewhat from the topic, I think communication is
pivitol to any success a person or a group has. I might seem like a pest from
someone else's point of view but I've learned so much by just reading the lists
and asking a question from time to time and hope you can too. Thanks for the
listening ear.

=====
Merrill A. Butterman Jr.