Re: SPAM on the mailing list

John Thompson wrote:

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:29:12 -0600
Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There was some discussion in days past about reasons for not using
HTML email.

Has anyone noticed that there seem to be a LOT of spam messages making
it thru the mailing list now?

Is it really spam, or just messages that are being tagged as spam? I've not seen any blatant spam on the list, but I did notice some messages being dumped by my filter. These turned out to be legitimate messages, but with a " X-RedHat-Spam-Warning:" header that made my procmail toss it out.

It IS spam.

I checked the headers and it is being sent to me, with a return address of the list, but not originating on the list.

Since my filters put anything with a return address of the list into that box I thought they were in fact coming from the list.

For what it's worth, this message from you was tagged by the list server with a spam level of over 9, and I usually dump anything over 5:

Probably because the word spam is in the subject.

Thanks for replying.