Re: Recovery [Windowze never!!]

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 08:37, Pinco wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a beginner and I would like to learn how to do what you did!
>
> So, can you please explain me how to update from FC1 to FC2 mantaining all my configuration (gnome, applications etc) and users? How did you do?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Nino

Well Nino,

Quite simple.

When you first setup your linux box. be sure to create a /home
partition.
The rest is how tidy you are when you work.

Try not to do any work outside of your home folder. eg </home/nino>
If you make or edit any config files like ld.so.conf or your fstab you
can create a hidden folder in your home dir and leave copies of those
file there for reference. <mkdir .dirname>
Also try and keep an updated list of the programs you have manually
installed. your prefered stuff.
Keep the rpms for these apps in a hidden folder in your home dir so that
you can quickly get back up to speed.

You are now quite prepared [Hopefully], Hold thumbs next time your box
mysteriously dies.
If you have really really broken it, and need to reload.
Do a clean install and when you partition DO NOT FORMAT </home>
partition and DO NOT CHANGE ITS NAME.

Afterwards login as root or use the first welcome screen to add a user
just recreate your user account and make sure that it uses the same dir
as your previous home dir. In other words if your username is nino your
home dir will probably be /home/nino use this dir for the user account
you create.
Logout root and login as nino and there you go.
You will have to fix a few things that install outside of the home dir,
also remember that if you had install apps and libs to satisfy
dependencies you will have to reload them.
The good thing is most of your browser, mail,themes, playlist, documents
etc will still be intact.

There is one other option and that is to create a backup of your home
dir onto a cd or other media or server / pc etc.

Good Luck

PS you should have to reload if something small is irritating you, mail
us with a fairly good description of problem and package names and
version and output errors or output from logs.

> --
> ==============================
> http://www.vessella.it (italiano, esperanto, kiswahili, english)
> http://www.changamano.org (Iniziative di solidarietà per la Tanzania)
> http://www.lernado.it (Articoli di quotidiani della Tanzania, Corso di lingua swahili, Corso di lingua esperanto, Vocabolario esperanto-italiano, Jifunze lugha ya Kiesperanto, Kamusi ya Kiesperanto)

Chadley Wilson

Production PLanner / Analyst and Supervisor

A division of Technobyte (Pty) Ltd.    Registration No. 1993/00917/07
Email: chadley@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tel: +27 11 265 3000 (Switchboard) or 265 3195 (Direct) 083 342 3730
(Cell)
Fax: + 27 11 265 3073
Web site: www.pinnacle.co.za

WARNING: The information transmitted herewith is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete all
copies of the material.