Re: Recovery [Windowze never!!]

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 07:37:48AM +0100, Pinco wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a beginner and I would like to learn how to do what you did!
>
> So, can you please explain me how to update from FC1 to FC2 mantaining all
> my configuration (gnome, applications etc) and users? How did you do?

Two quick points...
    * FC2 is not finished yet... any answer requires future knowledge ;-)
    * ALL is a big word.  We have no clue what ALL is for you....

My Expectations of the future:
	FC1 to FC2.... by the numbers...
	    Backup things that are important to you in a way that
	      you know, understand, and can verify.
	    Burn a set of FC2 CDROMs
	    Pop in #1, boot and test all the FC2 CDROM discs.
	    Start the install from  CDROM #1  and select upgrade.
	      Most stuff will just work.  Users will be OK and most
	      applications will be fine.

	Some things will change or be replaced.  If the old versions
	matter to you you might have to work hard to install them from
	your archives of old rpms or you may have to recompile or port
	them.  For me one FCn change was "pine".  I had to compile
	pine from source.  Eventually I switched to "mutt" because it
	has better thread support.  i.e. ALL things will not be as
	they were. Expect and embrace changes, it is an upgrade after
	all ;-)

Advice:
	Since you are a beginner try to not be the first to do
	something.  ---OR--- assemble a test box from a cast off last
	generation box and tinker away.

	There is a scheduled overlap of FC1 and FC2 support where FC1
	will be maintained and FC2 will be available to all.  In the
	first third of this overlap read the list and keep a notebook
	of things that the early FC2 users discover.  Some things will
	not apply to you others will.  Some problems and the answers
	will give you an education about how stuff works others will
	be 'magic'.

	Keep it simple.
	Keep a notebook.

Hint:
	If you work on cars you need two (or a good friend).  The
	second car is to go get parts ;-)

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	PS: Just found a Big disk for $0.41/GB after rebates.