How to use updfstab to mount usb media?

I have an USB flash card reader and digital camera. I can mount both of
them manually by adding them to fstab and running a mount command. But I
want something more automatic that will add an icon to the desktop like
what happens with the cdrom when media is inserted. Is this possible
using updfstab tool? If so how do you use it? Is it possible to
integrate them into the Nautilus "Computer" window?

--
Regards,
Prasanth